Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Whale Rider: A Historical Approach

 
A huge influence in the film The Whale Rider, was from the Maori. Some of the traditions of the Maori were reflected in this film. For example, the way that the characters dressed (at times) portrayed how the Maori dress. One of the traditions such as finding a male leader, was also shown in this film. A big part of the film showed how much the whales meant to the Maori people. The history and legend of the Maori stems from Paikea, who traveled to New Zealand on the back of a whale. In this film, you could see how devastated the people were that the whales were washed up on shore and how important it was to them to save these whales. It's also quite interesting to see Paikea, the character in the film, ride on the back of the whale to save its life. This made the film and the Maori come full-circle. Understanding the history of the Maori and the tale of Paikea really helps you understand this film a lot better.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I liked how you mentioned some of the apparel used in the film. I really enjoyed the director bringing in authentic Maori culture. I thought the scene where Pai rode the whale linked the folktale to the film seamlessly. Good job!

    -Christina Sieb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your response mentions many of the long standing cultural traditions and beliefs of the Maori people. In my post about the film I also took some time to refer to the peoples' strong connection to nature and the environment, which is shown through their pain and sadness for the beached whales. Pai's ride on the whale also clearly shows the Maori's longest living and most important legend, but in present day, which was moving and almost unbelievable. Nice reflection!

    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good application of the historical/cultural perspective. You point to some specific examples of Maori images and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your diction in this post, especially your use of the term "full-circle." To me, the circle is the shape that best embodies the fate of the Maori people, and people as a whole. Life is cyclical, and your understanding that Paikea's riding the whale signified much more than "merely" saving the lives of the whales really resonated with me. Good job!

    -- Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your thoughts on the film. I also loved seeing the dress and completely agree that understanding the historical side to the culture played a huge role in my understanding of the significance of the film.
    --Casey Scheibengraber

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you in your comment. I too enjoy seeing the traditional clothes in the movie that helps us understand the Maori culture. When I see PaiKea riding on the whale, it has left a big impression on me. -Kazoua Lor

    ReplyDelete